WEIRDLAND: Michael Cera, proud of Arrested Development

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Michael Cera, proud of Arrested Development

"I wanted to be Dr. Pete Venkman when I grew up.

I hate auditions. I had a woman scream at me when I was nine years old for doing a voice my mother told me to do. The character's name was PeeWee. So my mom said, "Maybe you should do a funny voice." And then after, this casting woman, this mean, bitter old woman — I was scared to death of her — she said, "Michael, tell me about yourself, what do you like to do in your spare time?" In my regular voice, I said, "Um, you know, I like to play with my friends and stuff..." And she started screaming, "I knew it! Let me tell you something, young man. Acting is not about funny voices!" So that scared me from ever doing a funny voice again. I got that message loud and clear.

I auditioned for The Sixth Sense, which I didn't know was about seeing dead people. They didn't mention that in the breakdown. After seeing the movie, and remembering the scene they had me read... It was the scene with the penny. Bruce Willis is saying, "I can't be your doctor anymore", and Haley Joel Osment starts crying and slides the penny over to him. It's a very emotional scene. And I did not do it that way. I did it upbeat. I said "Some magic's real" very optimistically.

There is this strange sense of competition among child actors. There were a few kids, I knew if I saw them at the audition, they were going to get the part. Now they're on Degrassi.
Arrested Development never felt safe. Even the first season, we did thirteen episodes, and we thought we'd never do a back nine. So I never thought in a million years we'd get to make three seasons. I was happy we got that far. I thought it was really good, and I'm really proud of it. I don't think we made a bad episode.
People want to make a movie. There are articles on the Internet that center me out as the reason it's not being made. I don't know where that stuff comes from. It could always fall through, but I think everyone wants to make it.
I could tell when someone was an Arrested Development fan. They were normally very polite, and it was intimate. It was like a club. They would say things like, "Can you believe it? We couldn't save it." There was a real sense of teamwork. But when Superbad came out, there was no way to know. It was the hugest thing I'd ever done. Suddenly I had drunk guys coming up to me, high-fiving me, grabbing me, which was different from having a nice conversation with somebody about this show we both loved.What's the difference between love and sex? That's normally one of the questions? Really? I don't think I'd like that guy very much. I would give a very literal answer to that.

I did a TV show for three years where, like, nobody cared about that stuff. Then I did a movie that was, like, a romantic movie — and people are so stupid. So many interviewers started asking the most basic questions they could think of. I hate when people do that. I can't imagine doing that to another person. That says a lot to me about you as a human being if you're going to ask a question like that just for the sake of your article. I don't know if you read the Internet, but there are some really creepy people out there, and I just don't want them to have that kind of information about me.
I went to high school for a year, and then after that I was doing the TV show, so I did the rest of it online. But that year went really slowly. It felt like forever. High school, I think, is unenjoyable except for the people who completely dominate it. It's a game, and you can only really win if you have the physical requirements to win. Yeah, those were short shorts in Juno. Were they given to me? Like, do you mean, or did I bring them from home?I play guitar. I play piano a little bit. I can't read music, but I can learn a song piece by piece. I just play the same songs over and over. I got a new electric piano. It's so great. It's a Wurlitzer from the 1960s. I have one at my place in L. A., too. Here, I'll show you a picture... This is my piano. The light's kind of funny. My piano looks like it's from heaven in that picture.

My penis? No, I wouldn't do that".
Source: www.esquire.com

"Yesterday, fans of Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera uttered a collective "Noooooooo!" when Star magazine "reported" that Cera had dumped Yi after three years of dating because he wanted to sow his wild oats (maybe with a girl named Maeby?). There's just one problem: According to Yi, who's best known for her role as a stoner in 'Knocked Up,' she and Cera have never, ever dated. "We weren't dating at the time [laughs] ... or ever. I also heard that we broke up [laughs]. Someone sent me an article that said I was really sad. It says that I'm sad that we're touring together. But he's actually in Toronto right now filming a movie called 'Scott Pilgrim.' So that's interesting [laughs]."
Source: www.moviefone.com

Note from Weirdland:
I already knew of this relationship between Michael and Charlyne as most imaginary, long time ago, but one of my main rules in Weirdland being discretion, I preferred not to ruin the geek fantasies of many fans of the duo Cera/Yi.

The case is this girl named Chloe T. from Winchester had an argument in Youtube with Charlyne when both interchanged some bitter comments in one of Charlyne's music videos and Michael Cera's so-called girlfriend sent Chloe one private message that stated she "wasn't going out with that guy" but that even if she had dated him, that wasn't Chloe's business since "he's a stranger". I agree with Charlyne that majority of teenage female fans of Cera can be intrusive and annoying. Chloe sent me the original message but I never made it public.

No comments :