WEIRDLAND: Meryl Streep in "Rendition"

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Meryl Streep in "Rendition"

"Meryl Streep has joined the cast of New Line Cinema's "Rendition," a political thriller starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon and being directed by Gavin Hood.

Alan Arkin also has been cast, playing a senator.
Written by Kelley Sane, the multilayered story centers on a CIA analyst (Gyllenhaal) based in Cairo who finds his world spinning out of control after he witnesses the interrogation of a foreign national by the Egyptian secret police. Witherspoon is playing the pregnant American wife of the national.
Streep is a government official who orders the rendition of the national. Shooting is under way in Los Angeles. The production also will shoot in Washington, Morocco and South Africa.

Steve Golin is producing. David J. Kanter, Keith Redmon and Michael Sugar are executive producing.

Toby Emmerich and Keith Goldberg are overseeing for the studio.

Streep, repped by CAA, is riding high on Oscar buzz for her performance in "The Devil Wears Prada."

Anne Hathaway as Andy Sachs in "The Devil wears Prada".



Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly in "The Devil wears Prada".
She recently joined the all-star cast of "Lions for Lambs," in which she will act alongside Tom Cruise and Robert Redford."

Source: Hollywoodreporter

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

jake,reese,anne and meryl photos in post..kendra,you rock!!

Elena said...

This CAA is really getting on my nerves.

Isn't CAA the same reps of Jake too? Joking aside, Simon, I'm happy Ms. Streep costars in "Rendition". Reese, Peter, Meryl... and Jake!

gr77: Thanks, "I always want to rock."
-Ron Wood quote.

Anonymous said...

Must confess I have never been able to make up my mind whether I think Meryl Streep is a great actress or not. I liked her a lot in younger days (e.g. The Deer Hunter and Sophie's Choice), but in some of her later movies she tends to get on my nerves. I think it is overacting sometimes. Her fake accent in The Bridges of Madison County annoyed me throughout the movie. There's also something about the way her mouth is set that gets me in a negative sense!

Elena said...

CAA conspiracy, Simon, maybe Gore Vidal should investigate its plot in the shades.

I think you're right, Penny Lane, Meryl belongs to a league of former great actors, like Robert de Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, who are usually histrionic in their movies nowadays, it's a pity.

Elena said...

And add Jack Nicholson to the list, pure histrionism in "The Departed"!

Elena said...

Thanks for the link, Simon.

I still remember Gore Vidal's appearance in a film I liked very much: "Bob Roberts", starred by Tim Robbins. An amazing underrated political story with a satiric script; Gore told the frog-inside-boiling water metaphor, the same Al Gore used in "An inconvenient truth", another filmic gem.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Meryl Streep!!
This is fabu!! Meryl Streep and Jake!! And Anne Hathaway is sooo pretty. Me=Mucho jealous
But I don't really like Reese. I watched her filming part of a movie, and she was REALLY mean to these girls. She was holding auditions for this extra with a few lines, and she wouldn't even let this girl try because she was fat. Jerk.

Elena said...

That's awful to hear, sarahgyllenhaal, although I am a fan of Reese regarding her cinema work, I've always suspected she has a hard personality, even a too cold head sometimes, and yeah, I've read similar comments from Kevin Smith where he auditioned Reese for his film "Mallrats" I think, and a former Kevin's girlfriend, actress Joey Lauren Adams felt awfully treated by Reese, who was reported to ignore Joey Lauren's greetings. Anyway, most of cinema stars can show a narcissist side in some occasions...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.